What are some Massage Tips that I should know?
Massage is not just about relaxation and working out the kinks in the body – though clinicians do not fully understand the mechanics of massage, the therapeutic impacts of massage are obvious and many.
Massage can be used for pain reduction, for rehabilitation after a sports injury, it can help control depression and anxiety and reduce stress, reduce chronic neck and lower back pain, and it can increase an overall feeling of wellbeing. A survey showed that as many as 18 million American adults received some sort of massage therapy in the year 2006 so clearly massage therapy is a popular choice for people states Layton Massage.
Points to be kept in Mind
- Discuss with your regular doctor the idea of initiating massage therapy, and take into account any precautions suggested or concerns that he or she may have.
- Consider the financial implications of the massage therapy – the duration of the therapy and if your insurance covers it.
- When initiating massage therapy, inform the therapist about any health conditions that you have, medications that you are on, and share all other relevant health related information. In particular if you are on any blood thinning medication, or have a low blood platelet count or a bleeding disorder, tell the therapist about all of this beforehand.
- Massage is not recommended to be performed on any area of the body with open wounds or scabs, or injury such as a fracture or at the site of a surgical incision. Also if a person has any bone related conditions such as osteoporosis, massage may be inappropriate.
- Massage is shown to improve well being and lower stress in cancer patients; however massage therapy, particularly deep tissue massage, should be cleared with one’s oncologist.
- Many pregnancy women may benefit from massage; however the kind of massage that is appropriate during pregnancy may differ from regular methods, so it is best to work with a massage therapist who is experienced in dealing with pregnant women.
- Consider the kind of certification that the massage therapist has. Some physiotherapists may also be trained in massage. Or the therapist could be certified or licensed as an Licensed Massage Therapist (LMT), Licensed Massage Practitioner (LMP), Certified Massage Therapist (CMT), or have passed an exam or received a certification from the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork.
- It is also prudent to inquire after the amount of experience that a therapist has; particularly in respect of others who have had medical conditions similar to any you may have.
There are many health benefits of massage therapy. For instance, instead of taking medication for sore, tight muscles, many people simply go to a session to help relieve any tension or stress. In addition, some also rely on it when they’re trying to simply relax or feel better overall. Also, this service is perfect for people that have been injured, such as athletes. Going to a professional to work out all the soreness and tenderness of an injury can help the athlete feel much better and encourage wellness.
When a person goes in for a massage therapy session, there’s usually a table where they can lie down. It’s best to wear comfortable, loose clothing, or if you get undressed you can be covered with a blanket. Then the professional will use a special lotion to help make the process easy. He or she will rub the area to help relieve tension explains Layton Massage. In addition, you can get mini sessions that are only a few minutes. This is good for people that want to simply sit in a chair and get their neck and shoulders worked on. It all just depends on your stress level, what you want done, your time frame and more.
A massage therapy is perceived by many people as the best way to release stress out of your body to improve your health in a natural way. There are many various methods that reached over eighty types of massage therapy developed to suit the preferences of the patients all over the world.
A brief history of massage therapy takes us back in the ancient countries that had used this alternative medicine as part of their regular medical care. Some of these countries are Ancient China and Japan where they have found scrolls depicting the practice of massage therapy during the ancient times as a part of their healthy lifestyle.
Aside from the various different methods of massage therapy, there are also different kinds of body massage which is made up of the different parts of a human body which are practiced until today. There are back massage, neck and shoulder massage, abdomen and chest massage and many more. A massage therapist uses a mixture of science and artistic touch on these parts of the body to improve the overall health of a person.
Before you start your day at the massage parlor and spa, always remember to keep a light meal for that day prior to your session to further enjoy your wonderful therapeutic massage. Be ahead of time so that you will have more time to get acquainted and comfortable with your therapist.
When you enter the room, you will then be informed to undress and lie down on the padded massage table. Getting naked at the room is normal as it is a standard procedure when having a therapeutic massage session states Layton Massage. If you feel uncomfortable with this idea, let your massage therapist know so that he or she will know what’s on your mind.
A massage therapy will not begin without a good light oil or lotion as preparation for the massage session. The choice will depend on the preference of the patient or on the type of massage therapy. Nowadays, there are many choices when it comes to oil. A patient can have essential oils which are a good choice as they are scented oils, aiding in the aromatherapy of the patient. There are no proven negative effects in using these oils as medium on your massage therapy.
Your massage therapist will then begin with the basic massage strokes to prepare your body for the therapy. There are many various massage strokes that are used for different purposes and different parts of the body. All of these however are stress-relieving and helpful in conditioning the body for a faster healing process. The massage strokes are effleurage, kneading, percussion, friction, and vibration used with different hand techniques which help in soothing the nerves and muscles for a relaxed and stress-free feeling.
Where these Professionals Work?
When it comes to massage therapy, it is a very versatile field as far as working environments. For the most part, these professionals can work anywhere from nursing homes and hospitals, to private practices and fitness centers. In addition, there are some folks that will travel to a person’s home with their table and complete a session right then and there. Also, some professionals choose to have a practice right in their own homes. This way, they can save money and build their business.
Things to Keep in Mind
Even though massage therapy is a very good way to relieve tension and other issues, it’s not a reason to stop seeing your doctor states Layton Massage. Also, it’s never okay to stop taking medicines or following your doctors instructions. In addition, it’s good to see your doctor before even deciding on using massage therapy as some sort of treatment, since when the muscles are manipulated, it can release toxins in the body. Usually, the professional will simply advise you to drink water.
However, depending on your situation, water may not be enough. Also, as with any person you decide to have working on your body, it’s best to ask about credentials, experience and cost. Furthermore, depending on your insurance, such services may or may not be covered. Usually, if the session can be deemed a medical necessity, many insurance companies often cover it. One way to determine this is by simply asking your doctor for referrals for specialists that can help offer specific services to aid in treatment.
Consulting with your doctor is still the best preparation for an injury-free massage therapy session which is also safe from any kind of medical complication as safety should be one of the most essential things that you should consider before engaging in any kind of medical related activity.